Sunday, August 16, 2009

The next part of the journey...welcome aboard!

Over the past couple decades I have discovered that the thing that I cherish most in life is "the journey". Each of us travels through this world on our own individual journey, and yet at the same time we travel together. This blog is my attempt to capture and share my journey with others and begins with me standing at a significant crossroad in my life. Having recently been diagnosed with a chronic disease, Hepatitis C, I am faced with some big choices about the path I will choose.

While I suspect that I will have thousands upon thousands of choices to make on this part of the journey, each with an implication for my overall health, my sense is that I am now faced with one of the most significant that I will need to make...this is the choice between "Hope" and "Despair".

At some points in my life I would have had a hard time making this choice. Fear, anger, insecurity and lack of faith were the main drives which determined my choices. Today I believe that even some of the hardest things that life confronts you with, things that you pray would never happen, actually provide us with opportunities to grow, to feel God's Grace and Mercy and to experience love...these are the signposts on the path of"Hope". This is the path that I am choosing, although I may need your encouragement to stay on this path when the journey gets hard. My road map and North Star for this journey are the Writings of Baha'u'llah. These Writings have provided a consistent and unfailing source of inspiration and understanding since I first read them in 1989. At this time the following quote seems particularly relevant:

O SON OF MAN!
My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy. Hasten thereunto that thou mayest become an eternal light and an immortal spirit. This is My command unto thee, do thou observe it.

(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

Welcome aboard the journey.........

1 comment:

  1. You, my dear brother, are truly amazing! I feel privileged to be taking this journey with you. You and your family have been such an incredible blessing and inspiration in my life and I offer you my love, my prayers, my shoulder to cry on when needed, my ear to bend, my strength when you're too tired to play the game and whatever else you may need. My mantra for you is "If He brings you to it, He'll take you through it". LYM

    ReplyDelete