Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Well...How did I get here?"

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful Wife
And you may ask yourself: well...how did I get here?
-David Byrne

On June 26-28 I went with my wife and a couple of dear friends to a Buddhist retreat center in Western North Carolina. For three days we prayed, meditated, sang Sacred Verses from the worlds religions and danced like Sufis (think whirling dervish)! This is not something that we typical do, but a vacation for the soul if you will. The spiritual energy that I could feel rising within and around me was unbelievable. As we past the weekend in silence (when not singing) I could feel an inner peace and strength growing. Along with this inner peace I could hear a voice from within telling me to go the doctor and get a physical.

On July 2nd at 10:22 am I stopped by a local walk-in clinic and asked for a complete physical. What ensued was rather disturbing...a brief discussion with a physician assistant, a glance in my ears and mouth and an order for bloodwork. At the time I was mystified, as I felt like it was by far the least "thorough" exam that I had ever had a medical professional give me. 48 hours later I was informed that my liver enzymes were significantly elevated and more blood was requested. On July 9th I returned to the walk-in clinic and was handed a computer generated print out that stated that I had Hepatitis C. I think that I will never forget the look on the nurse's face as she told me, and I will always wonder if she could see me as I floated away up into the corner of the room as she continued to talk to me and tried to reassure me.

Now....some time has passed....and I have moved from that point (though I have to be honest...I am still floating around at times...wondering what is going on). But now, I know that she did not give me bad news....she gave me news that may well allow me to continue to live a much longer and healthy life! The PA who I thought had given me the worst physical of my life had ordered the one lab test that I needed!

Yesterday I was driving and I was yelling along with the Talking Heads song "Once in a lifetime". I heard the line, "and you may ask yourself: well how did I get here?" And I heard myself yell, "by the Mercy of God".



No comments:

Post a Comment