Friday, September 11, 2009

"Resort ye, in times of sickness, to competent physicians"

Resort ye, in times of sickness, to competent physicians; We have not set aside the use of material means, rather have We confirmed it through this Pen, which God hath made to be the Dawning-place of His shining and glorious Cause.
-Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas


Following my last visit to the gastroenterologist, I realized that although the doctor and physician assistant were both nice people and probably very effective with some diagnoses, it was clear that the treatment of Hepatitis C was not their specialty. Lauretta reminded me of the above quote which provoked me to go to an appointment with another doctor who I had called and spoken to. I am so glad that I went to the appointment as I found a competent physician who is both passionate about her work and compassionate in her treatment of patients. I have been praying and asking God to help me find a collaborator and He sent me one! At the moment that I was told that I had Hepatitis C I felt absolutely alone…..gradually I can feel more people and more support starting to build around me. I do not feel alone, and in fact I am finding that I can be of support to others who themselves are just finding out that they have Hep C.





Next week I start a year long course of treatment. While the treatment is very hard for many people to tolerate and it often does not work, for those who respond to it, it is a Miracle Cure. I believe in miracles and have in fact already been blessed by several in my life, so I am on board and will start the treatment on Monday. I had the meds (Interferon and Ribavirin)delivered by UPS on Wednesday and I welcome their arrival. I am not a big fan of taking medication and have tried to take it as seldom as possible over the last 2 decades, but I am viewing these particular meds as a Silver Bullet against an evil assailant. These drugs provide HOPE for the hundreds of millions of people who are faced with this virus, and who would otherwise have very few other options at stopping this slow killer.

I would of course welcome your prayers for my family and to increase the effectiveness of the treatment and that all goes well.Please feel free to forward this blog to others who you think would be interested in joining us on this journey. Also please feel free to add comments if you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment